A very rare car in a private Irish collection with a huge history designed by Ferdinand Porsche “Austro Daimler” below is a section from the Austro Website explaining the history of this Austro.
Our Aim With Bolands Classics Ireland Is To Keep You Informed With The Amazing History Of Classic Cars In Ireland & Abroad
A Cars History Is Not Only Motoring But Also The History Of Its Owners
All Pictures And History On This Page Is Pictures Taken By Ourselves
THE BRAND AUSTRO DAIMLER
The story of the original company and the Austro Daimler brand has been marked by changes. The “Oesterreichische Daimler-Motoren-Commanditgesellschaft Bierenz Fischer u. Co”was founded on August 11, 1899 in Wiener Neustadt, and the first vehicle built there was completed on May 14, 1900.At the time the product range also included trucks, buses, motor boats, marine engines and rail vehicles. In 1902 Paul Daimler came to Wiener Neustadt, took over the company management and became a personally liable partner. On July 27, 1906, the company was renamed “Österreichische Daimler Motoren Gesellschaft – Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung”. In the same year Ferdinand Porsche was appointed as the technical director of the company as successor to Paul Daimler. The company was also at this time manufacturing vehicles, medical and fire trucks, as well as trolleybuses and military vehicles. On October 7 1910 the company was again renamed as “Oesterreichische Daimler-Motoren-Aktiengesellschaft”. The telegram or “wire” word Austro Daimler became common usage thereafter. Meanwhile engines for vehicles, ships, airships and automobiles with gasoline or electric drive were being built.
Between 1910 and 1920 the company experienced a series of major upheavals. In 1911 the Emperor Franz Josef granted the company the right to use the double eagle in its emblem and, following previous cooperation, a business merger with Skoda took place in 1913. Due to the outbreak of the First World War, the production of the company underwent a change in 1914 and in the following years vehicles were also made for the war effort, before the shares in Skoda were transferred to the “Wiener Bank und Kreditverein für Handel und Gewerbe” in 1918.
The AD 617, which was built from 1920, was followed in 1922 by the production of the racing car ADS R, which was named “Sascha” after Count Alexander Kolowrat, a manufacturer and founder of the Austrian film industry and which enjoyed 43 race victories and 8 second place finishes. In 1925, the majority shareholding was transferred to Creditanstalt, Wiener Bankverein, Anglobank and Depositenbank. The ADM model, which had been developed by Ferdinand Porsche